Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hoot is Nothing to Give a Hoot About

This movie is a bit older, but I've never seen it before, so here we go.  We'll see how the movie is.  I hope it's alright; I mean the book it's based off of is a New York Time's Best Seller and won the Newberry Honor Award.  That's pretty impressive.


So far, it's nothing original.  A new kid goes to school and is having trouble adjusting to the new school.  Plus, he has had run ins with both school bullies.  How many times have I seen that before?  More times than I care to remember.  Cody Linley's character shows some promise though.

I like the narrative style it has: Logan Lerman's voice over in the movie.  It's nice to hear what the main character, Roy, is thinking.  Personally, I believe that any movie should do that because the audience gets closer to the characters by staying in the character's head.

To be honest, I'm getting kind of bored with this movie.  The little kid getting beat up all the time can relate to the little owls about to get beat up by capitalism in the form of a Pancake Buffet.  Same story as most "new kid" movies, just different details.

In the end, I guess the movie is inspirational if you care about owl/animal conservation.  But even then, it's mediocre at best.



No comments:

Post a Comment