Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Toilet Girl" and "Toilet Man" - A Love Story

This movie was recommended to my mom and I by my brother. He does enjoy chick flicks on occasion because we've watched so many together, but I am pretty sure he picked it up because David Tennant, the 10th (I think) doctor in the Doctor Who series, stars in it. I, however, will always see him as Barty Crouch Jr., the Death Eater obsessed with licking his lips (ew).

Anyhow . . .










Decoy Bride is pretty much what the title says it will be. A famous couple wants to get married, but not with the paparazzi showing up and ruining their special day. To rectify the problem, they pay someone to be the decoy bride to trick the paparazzi.  As it happens, however, the groom falls in love with the decoy bride because, well, it's a chick flick and that's just what happens.












I love David Tennant (James) as an actor in this. He's amusing, makes fantastic facial expressions, and has good comedic timing, however I don't think he is that cute; in fact, I would argue that he looks half-crazed (or maybe that's Barty Crouch Jr.). There is, however, something about him that is striking about him that demands our attention.
















Kelly Macdonald (Katie) is also in this film playing the decoy bride to have enough money to heal her sick mother. She did a fairly good job, but I am too influenced by the Harry Potter series and kept picturing Helena Ravenclaw instead. I also kept seeing Merida from Brave because she voiced that character. She also has something about her that draws the audience in despite her fairly plain face.











As Katie and James get to know each other, they get on each other's nerves. The banter is wonderful. I love the dialog between these two. It's brilliant and I love it. It's beyond hysterical.

All in all, this movie very adorable / cute. And it is definitely a traditional chick flick because the guy falls in love with the wrong girl even though they seemingly hate each other at first. It's quite predictable, but I'm okay with it because I wasn't expecting anything deep or intellectually stimulating within the film. And, there's nothing wrong with chick flicks as long as you know what you're getting into. On the other hand, if you didn't know this was going to be a chick flick from the title, you're kind of an idiot . . . No "manly/macho" film will EVER have the word "bride" in the title. Just saying.



And, for the record, a chapter can indeed be an entire book because if William Faulkner or Nathaniel Hawthorne can make a single sentence a paragraph, it should be acceptable for James's book to have only one chapter. So there.


No comments:

Post a Comment