Friday, September 14, 2012

Pottermania Part 7: Mastering the Hallows (Part 1 and Part 2)





I am combining Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 into a single review because there is no other way to see them -- Part 2 is a flawless continuation of Part 1. Plus, Ms. Rowling wrote them to be a single book. Thus, this review will take into account both films because Ms. Rowling intended them to be: together.



The first time I tried reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I couldn't make it through. I hadn't read any of the books in so long that I had forgotten almost everything about the series. Now, however, it is one of the three books tied for first place. Once I restarted the series, I could see how beautiful and wonderful it really is.





It also made me happy because it was the first time I had ever dressed in costume for a midnight premier. I went as Marietta Edgecombe with the word "SNEAK" across my cheeks. I even had a custom Ravenclaw robe made and everything (though the robe was far too big, even when it was pinned to be tighter against my body. It was so fun.



Part two was even better. I dressed in a grey party-ish dress and carried as sign that said "Needs date to Yule Ball." Wrong movie, but I thought it would be funny. And it was. I even got a boyfriend that night. We didn't make it, but it was nice while it lasted. It was enjoyable though.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the conclusion of a phenomenal, culture changing series that everyone pined for. Every moment has been culminating to the final battle between Harry and Voldemort. We've spent 10 years watching Harry to prepare and waiting for the story to end, but it's finally here . . . in two fantastic movies. Really, this book is just about following Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they seek and destroy horcruxes until they are all destroyed so that Voldemort is human (and mortal) and can finally be killed.



I love the beginning of this movie (after Scrimgeour speaks). You see Harry, Ron, and Hermione  preparing for their adventure. Harry watches as the Dursley's leave and visits his room under the stairs. Hermione obliviates her parents, knowing that there is a chance she will never see them again, but does so anyway so they can be protected. Finally, Ron is standing outside, staring out into the vast horizon and facing away from the Burrow, because he knows he is about to leave on this long adventure

The one scene I was truly looking forward to seeing in the movie was where Fred, George, Ron, Fleur, Hermione, and Mundungus drink polyjuice potion to become the seven Potters. Dan did brilliantly. You could really see how hard he worked on capturing the mannerisms of every character that turned into him. I loved it. Bravo, Dan. It was better than I could have ever imagined it being. It was spectacular.



Also equally wonderful is the scene in the Ministry of Magic, the actors playing polyjuice Harry, Ron, and Hermione are fantastic. Props to David O'Hara, Steffan Rhodri, and Sophie Thompson for truly capturing how the golden trio would act in this awkward, nearly scary situation. I LOVED it. I was truly impressed by this scene. It was awesome.



While there aren't any new characters (aside from Scabior the Snatcher leader), Harry and Neville both experience some deep changes within themselves.




Harry has to realize that even though he is the Chosen One, the war is not just about him. Ron stops him from leaving, reminding him that the war affects everyone, not just him. In that way, Ron pushes Harry to accept that he cannot go alone, but also that by killing Voldemort, he saves everyone around him. After all, Harry may be the Chosen One, but he is saving the world, not just fulfilling his duty as this position.














Neville, on the other hand, grows even more. On the Hogwarts Express to school, the train is stopped by Death Eaters seeking Harry. Neville stands up and bravely faces them. "Hey. Losers. He's not here." He says, clearly perturbed about this. The Neville we met in Sorcerer's Stone would never have done this, but with Harry gone, Neville wanted to become the fearless, inspiring leader to give everyone the strength to fight back against Snape, Death Eaters, and everyone assumed to be supporting Voldemort.**










Beyond the characters, the formulaic plot skeleton of Harry leaving the Muggle world to go to Hogwarts and learn how to be a better wizard, and, by the end of the year, he has to overcome some sort of problem that could have ended with his death. This time, however, Harry may be leaving the Muggle realm, but he is going to travel the world and destroy horcruxes with Ron and Hermione where they will go through some difficult and terrifying experiences.

Thankfully, however, the director and producers made some wise decisions on what should be kept in the film as well as how to make necessary scenes less frightening and disturbing because, after all, there will be little children in the audience and it would be best not to scar them for life. Just saying.

For example, the description of Nagini breaking through Bathilda Bagshot's skin is grotesque, but in the film it is really toned down. We focus mostly on Harry looking at the picture of Gellert Grindelwald rather than what is happening to Bathilda. Her mouth opens dangerously and her face shrinks in. Then, we see Harry turn around just in time to see the clothes Bathilda had been wearing crumpled on the ground as Nagini jumps out of the fabric to attack Harry.


Another example could be what happens to Hermione at Malfoy Manor. She's supposed to be receiving the Cruciatus Curse, but Bellatrix carves the word "Mudblood" into her skin (or bites her -- the camera makes this a bit confusing). The most important part is that Hermione is still screaming bloody murder, but we aren't seeing what's being done. And, when we finally do, there is just a deeply engraved word on her skin (as far as we know anyway, and that's okay) -- a much better choice for the children in the audience.



The final scene I want to mention is the "death" of Peter Pettigrew (it is unclear whether he dies or not in the film). Seeing the silver hand Voldemort gifted him with choke Pettigrew definitely counts as an image that would scar or scare the youngest people viewing the film.

Despite all of this harsh material, there are still moments of peace, levity, and humor (even if it's only funny to me).

The dancing in the tent after Ron left is a perfect example of this lighter touch. Harry and Hermione (especially Hermione) are taking Ron's absence hard, so they are trying to find something to distract them from noticing he left at all. It was sweet, but also quite sad.


The other scene I am thinking of is the part where Horcrux Voldemort is talking to Ron before the locket is destroyed. Most of it is serious and powerful . . . until Harry and Hermione get naked (or very close to that) and make out. I laughed. I laughed hard. I laughed so hard that my friend hit me repeatedly to get me to stop laughing, but I couldn't stop. I was surprised and laughed because I didn't know the proper response to this scene.


HAHAHAHA. I cannot see this part of the movie without breaking into a smile and trying not to laugh at the ridiculousness.

There is also one scene that is a unique and quite beautiful break from the story. Obviously, I am referring to the Tale of the Three Brothers. I liked that they set it apart from the rest of the film by making it animated, but I LOVE the design and way it was done. It looked very Tim Burton and was absolutely amazing. I can't get it out of my head. It was perfect.



The final comment I will make is about the saddest moment of the movie. Most (if not all) people find Dobby's death or even Hedwig's death to be the worst, but for me it was Ron's radio. I am not like Harry; hearing it didn't set me on edge. What did bother me was hearing all the names of the deceased. My stomach sank, my breath became ragged, and I started to panic a little. I just couldn't handle it.

Also, I totally called that they would split the movie immediately after Dobby's death and Voldemort stealing the Elder Wand. My brother and a few of my friends argued about it with me, but I was right.

Just saying.

So there.


Moving right along . . .



I love the two scenes where Harry, Ron, and Hermione talk with Griphook and Ollivander. While the conversations were vastly different from one another, but also great and loyal to the book. I am most impressed with Griphook.  When he was in Sorcerer's Stone, the personality was bland and just . . . direct and boring. When they gave the role to Warwick Davis, however, he finally came alive. Yes, he was a bit of a jerk, but I don't really blame him. Do you?

Helena Bonham Carter is brilliant. Not only does she play the crazy, unhinged, blood-lusting Bellatrix Lestrange, but she gives an incredibly convincing performance of Hermione polyjuiced as Bellatrix as well. It's all in the eyes (wide with fear and uncertainty), the mouth (pouty unsure), and the way she walks (awkward and tripping over herself in heels that she's never worn before). It was perfect and I love it. It's actually my favorite part of the whole move, so thank you Ms. Carter for your genius and phenomenal acting ability.










VS










The dragon was amazing. It looked sickly, beaten, bloody and tortured. You really feel pity for the poor thing.



Aberforth is wonderfully played. My only wish is that he could have revealed more about his falling apart with Dumbledore as well as about Aryanna and how she died.

I know that the part in the book with Alecto and Acymus Carrow and Professor McGonagall in the Ravenclaw Common Room didn't happen, but I think I like it better this way. MUCH better. It's much more visually interesting this way.





McGonagall rocks my socks this movie. There's just a new, more fun side to her normal stern nature.








1)Calling Filch a "blithering idiot."

2) Blowing up Hogwarts.


Neville Longbottom: Professor, you're actually giving us permission to do this? To blow it up? Boom?
Minerva McGonagall: Boom!
Neville Longbottom: Wicked. Um, and how exactly do you propose we do this, Professor?
Minerva McGonagall: Why don't you confer with Mr. Finnegan? As I recall, he has a particular proclivity for pyrotechnics.
Seamus Finnigan: I can bring her down.
Minerva McGonagall: That's the spirit. Off you go.


3) Saying, "I've always wanted to use that spell,"like a giddy, schoolgirl.

It's also funny to see Luna act less like herself and more like a "normal" person screaming at Harry. "Harry Potter! You listen to me, right now!" Of course she goes back to being herself right after, but that one moment is quite amusing.


Even more funny -- Ron is coming up with all the ideas while Hermione is distracted and less quick minded than usual. That's a role reversal I don't think any of us saw coming.

Many jokes have been made about the scene in the Room of Requirement where Crabbe is supposed to destroy the room by using Fiend Fire, but he is no where to be seen in the film. Thus, Blaise Zambini, the "new" Crabbe, takes his place. Before this scene was filmed, Jamie Waylett (Crabbe) was arrested (for drug use if I remember correctly). This doesn't really change the plot at all, but it does make me laugh a little every time. It's a bit ridiculous, but whatever.



Despite this fluke with Crabbe, I found this movie to be absolutely perfect. Obviously it wasn't, but I loved the last two films because they closed the series wonderfully. Even though parts of the book left out, it was still everything I could hope for for the end of the series.

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING OKAY!!!
There is, however, one BIG problem that I cannot let go. Every movie and book makes reference to Harry having his mother's eyes. Granted, in the films, Harry's eyes are blue instead of green, at least the colors are close. The girl who plays Lily as a little girl, however, as BROWN eyes!! In that one scene, every reference to Harry and Lily sharing eye color is completely negated and Harry loses that connection to his mother. I don't think I've ever been that angry over something in the film. I wouldn't have cared, but they referenced it dozens of times, so a prerequisite of green/blue eyes should have been required when casting young Lily. Seriously, what on earth was that about?! Idiots . . .

All the dead . . . it's awful. We've lost James and Lily Potter, Sirius Black, Dumblodore, Moody, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Colin Creevey (only in the book, but it still counts in my opinion), Lavender Brown, one of the Patil twins and hundreds of others. I'm just grateful we didn't see the deaths; only the dead bodies. I couldn't have handled seeing them die. But, "others will tell [the reason] what [we] died for. One day, [they'll] understand."

Snape's memories. It's so sad. It makes me want to cry every time and I don't cry in movies. It's wonderful, solemn, sad, and the most brilliant twist Rowling has ever written. It's nice to see him redeemed after all this time.


It's the same when Harry uses the Resurrection Stone. So sad. So beautiful. I couldn't have asked for anything better with this scene.



Then, of course, there's Harry's death. While people argue over whether or not he actually died, I don't think it mattes. The important part is what happens in his mind and the conversation with Dumbledore. Dead or not, Harry chooses to go back to continue the fight. Even more important, is that it shows that Narcissa Malfoy is just as good of a mother as Mrs. Weasley. Both women care deeply about their children. In fact, the only difference is that Narcissa is on the wrong side (by her husband's choice, I'm sure). It just goes to show that even Death Eaters (and those affiliated with them) are capable of goodness and love.









same?











Mrs. Weasley is completely amazing. Never mess with a mama bear or you'll end up like Bellatrix -- shriveled, shattered, and dead. So much cooler than Avada Kedavra.



A lot of people were disappointed with how Voldemort died with the whole skin flaking off and disappearing into the air. I guess they wanted something more significant than that, but seeing as Voldemort was no longer human, a typical death wouldn't have worked. Thus, I like that his skin flakes away like a snake shedding skin; after all, Nagini was the last horcrux he made, so it only makes sense.



I am so happy with what they did with the epilogue. Originally, I heard a rumor that they were looking for older actors who looked enough like Harry, Ron, etc. to play them as parents. Awful idea if you ask me. I'm so glad they didn't do it. It would have been wrong. These actors may still be young, but as young adults, they could easily be made to look older with make-up. That aside, it was perfect. Everything I could have ever wanted for the ending.




I'm not always a fan of 3-D. Often I find it's poorly done or it gives me a headache. This film, however, is the best 3-D I've ever seen. It's phenomenal. They did a wonderful job. And I'm glad they didn't do it to part one because they knew they couldn't do a very good job of it, but saving it all for this film was brilliant. I loved it.






I've been waiting a long time to do this, but now I finally have the chance -- a tribute to Alan Rickman. Rickman was approached with the role of Snape, but he didn't want to do it. The story goes that he felt he played that same sort of role several times before, but Rowling was able to change his mind. During a very secret meeting between the two, Rowling revealed the outline of Snape's character through the end of the series. Thankfully, this was enough to convince Rickman to take the part. NO ONE could have done this role justice other than him. He was exceedingly brilliant and clearly the best man for the job. Thank you Mr. Rickman for taking this role and rising above all expectations. And thank you Ms. Rowling as well for convincing him to do so. Truly wonderful.








** This is not to say that the other characters do not grow, but I feel that they are the ones who grew the most in this particular movie. There will be a blog post about how much the younger actors (Dan, Rupert, Emma, Bonnie, Matthew, Tom) grew over the series.



and all was well . . . 
always

And for my (and your) amusement . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment