Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Dont Want to be a Good Blogger, I Want to be a Great One!

Name: Oz the Great and Powerful
Actors: James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis, Zach Braff, Joey King
Director: Sam Raimi
Release Date: 8 March 2013

The tale of The Wizard of Oz is fairly well-known throughout the world thanks to the popular film featuring Judy Garland. Oz the Great and Powerful acts as a prequel to this movie, adding another dimension for the movie industry. (Not that there wasn't one already in book form)

The plot is fairly simple - How do we turn a magician from Kansas into a great wizard to serve and protect  the land of Oz from the Wicked Witch(es)?

Making it happen, however, is a difficult task on its' own.

When we are first introduced to Oz, he's obviously a player -- offering every girl he meets a music box from his grandmother to show them he cares when he clearly doesn't. He does not respect his assistants or anyone really. He only cares for himself.  Then, by chance, a tornado sweeps him up while he is in a hot air balloon.  He prays in desperation and is rewarded with a second chance to put things right in Oz. As he travels, Oz is humbled and becomes the person he always wanted to be through correcting his most recent mistakes made in Kansas.
     THAT is the way to achieve his greatness -- his goodness -- not his magic.

I just really like the circle it completes. It's awesome. But I have a Masters in Literature; I'm required to know these things.

Anyhow, the actors well chosen, even if I'm not generally a fan of James Franco, but I still say he did a good job just like everyone else. I especially enjoyed Mila Kunis and Joey King's performances. Both were beyond amazing. I loved it.

I really enjoyed the movie too. It was very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment