Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Hold onto Your Butts . . ." We're Getting Prehistoric Now

Title: Jurassic Park
Actors:: Sam Neill; Laura Dern; Jeff Goldblum
Director: Steven Spielberg
Release Date: 11 June 1993


Okay . . .

Confession time.

This movie scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. I think I had thrown-up in my bed or something because mom was changing my sheets while I sat down with my dad in the living room to wait. He was watching Jurassic Park. The only scene I saw was the one with the T-Rex eating the lawyer. After that, I had nightmares about T-Rexes chasing me all over the place and eating my friends and family on its way. And then I would wake up just as the dinosaur was about to eat me.

Needless to say then, I wasn't in a hurry to see the film again.

Bur I'm older now, so I figured I'd have another go at watching the film. To my surprise, it wasn't "scary" at all. In fact, I was quite impressed, especially with the special effects they had available to use at that time. So bravo guys.

On the other hand, I was not impressed by the actors or characters. They were all flat, vanilla, and stereotypes.; the dinosaurs had more personality. The only saving actor was Jeff Goldblum. He was the ONLY actor able to bring his character to life and add some apparently elusive, substantial, realistic nature to his role.

And, for the record, I love John Williams. (of course. Who doesn't?). He's completely brilliant when scoring music for films.

Also, that lawyer got what he deserves. And that's hard for me to say because we all deserve death because we suck, but God lets us be alive anyway. So to say the lawyer got what he deserves is inaccurate and wrong. We all deserve to be eaten by T-Rexes while in an . . . awkward . . . position, not just him.

Moving on from my Christian and philosophical soap box . . .

I'll just say this: the film was better than I expected and the random snippet of philosophy in a movie about genetically engineered, frog-DNA infested, "dinosaurs."

No comments:

Post a Comment