Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Ho-blog-it

Title: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Actors: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis
Director: Peter Jackson
Release Date:14 December 2012

The Hobbit is such a famous story, retold repeatedly because Tolkien is just that amazing. In light of that, I'm not going to spend a lot of time summarizing.
     In other words, I'm going to keep this one short and sweet . . . because unlike Peter Jackson, I can be succinct and to the point.

The movie itself was enjoyable because Peter Jackson did a brilliant job with The Lord of the Rings films, so you know the film will be meticulously detailed and most likely please fans of The Hobbit. The problem is, however, is that there are some SLOW points . . . even to the extent that it becomes, dare I say it, b-o-r-i-n-g boring.

I love who they got for Bilbo. He is precious and just the way I imagined young Bilbo being. And he's adorable. I loved him.

And I love that Gollum's actor stayed the same because he is perfect for the role, even if I can't stop envisioning him as Richard Kneeland in 13 Going on Thirty. Honestly though, it makes the movie so much funnier . . . and The Hobbit could have used a bit more humor.

I also like what they did with Smog. We only get to see pieces of him, never the full beast; just enough fragments to convey a frightening presence on screen to be built up in the next movies. Quite brilliant -- like the Fire Lord in Avatar: the Last Airbender.

But seriously -- Why does it need to be made into three separate movies? That's absolutely ridiculous. I just hope Jackson can keep me, and other people in the audience, interested in watching the two following movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment