Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hi! I'm Timothy Green's Blog

Title: The Odd Life of Timothy Green
Starring: Jennifer Garner, Joel Edgerton, CJ Adams
Director: Peter Hedges!
Released: 15 August 2012

Alrighty then . . .

I was interested in seeing the movie just because I like Jennifer Garner and it seemed to have enough "Disney Magic" to spark my interest as it did in Bridge to Terabithia. And, seeing as BtT is one of my favorite stories and the movie met my expectations, I knew I needed to see Timothy Green. Also, my mom really wanted to see it also, so I would have seen it whether I wanted to or not.
     Either way, I still enjoyed it.

Timothy Green is the story of . . . well, Timothy Green, a boy grown in the garden after his parents buried/planted a box full of everything they would want for their unborn, never-to-happen child. Timothy becomes everything they ever wished for and more. Timothy became their ideal son who not only changed his parents' lives, but the lives of other people around him as well.

. . . I'm going to stop there so I don't give away too much.

The idea behind the movie is interesting.There are so many good people who would die to have a child, but can't. So why not plant one instead? To be fair, the Greens had no idea that Timothy would pop out of the ground like a muddy, mole or something.  But wouldn't it be nice if we could help those people through this process?

Though not everyone understands Timothy by any means, Timothy does just what he is meant to do. Not only does he grant the Green's most precious dream (to have a child of their own), but he fulfills the wishes of others around him by reminding them what it was like to believe into magic and that anything was possible in the world. Timothy manages to bring out the beauty and youthfulness in everyone he touches, reminding them of a past version of themselves where they were happier and not so weighed down by everything in the world around them.
     Think Haley Joel Osment's character in Pay It Forward

I think that's also why the soccer team is called the "Erasers" -- Timothy is able to erase the pain and weight on others as well as everything weighing them down so that they can return to their happiest moment and be that person once more -- even if only for a moment. But, hopefully, that memory will sustain them for the rest of their lives.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. It was cute and all, but I do have one concern. They made the adopting a child process way too easy. It just doesn't work that way and that's false advertising or something close to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment