Saturday, May 29, 2010

Did You Hear About the Morgans? Because I did.



When I saw the previews for this movie, I wasn't that excited.  I knew it would be funny because Hugh Grant was in it, but I figured it would be a typical romantic comedy.  Yes, I would watch it, but it wouldn't be anything to special or spectacular.








The thing with Hugh Grant movies is that, as much as I love him, the plot of his movies are generally the same.  Hugh Grant will play the charming golden boy who makes a major mistake, creating a rift in his relationship with his female co-star.  The rest of the movie, then, is Grant trying to apologize and make up for whatever wrong he did.  And, in the end, he wins the girl back with his sincere apology, British accent, and "oh shucks" attitude.






What I like about this movie, however, is that we got to skip the first part.  He messed up his relationship before the movie even began.  In fact, it begins with him apologizing.  He apologizes the rest of the movie and wins over Sarah Jessica Parker's heart.  I really appreciated this change of pace. 

I also enjoyed the situation the plot revolves around.  It's just funny.  Stick two people who hate each other in the middle of no where.  When you do this, one of two things is going to happen: one, they'll kill each other, or two, they will fight.  Either way it's going to be hysterical.

Ven the culture shock from New York to Wyoming is amusing.  Having been to Wyoming several times (my grandparents live there), it was even more funny.  Because people are kind of like that.  At least my uncle is.  He and Sam Elliot's character would have gotten along great.

Not kidding.  My grandpa. Right here.


Plus, Sam Elliot is epic.  Not only does he sound and look like my grandpa, but he just adds this presence that gives any movie bonus points.  In fact, his cool factor is so big that movies like Ghost Rider and The Golden Compass suddenly become passable, when, without him, they would suck.









In the end, I was right.  It was a romantic comedy.  Nothing special or spectacular, but still funny and worth a watch in it's own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment