Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Want to Buy I Sell the Dead

The title pretty much says it all.  Literally, it's about these two guys selling dead people in Victorian England.  I know that sounds gross and morbid, but the title just implies epic win.  So we picked it up.  Well...my boyfriend picked it up and I promised I would watch it with him because Dominic Monaghan was in it and I was curious to see Ron Perlman without filed down horns.

Even though it is about grave robbing and fighting with other grave robbers, and even though you do see the cadavers they pick up,  you aren't grossed out at all.  Well, that's not exactly true, but you don't feel as grossed out because of the music playing in the background.  It sounds like you're watching a circus performance.  Pretty exciting.

I also loved the art style.  The camera angles were phenomenal.  And the use of color and light was awesome. Most of the movie was done in darker grays, browns, and blacks (which is appropriate for the story), but sometimes the color emphasis really worked for me.  The best part, however, was the random art style switch.  When they were introducing the Murpheys (a grave-robbing gang), the picture would switch into a comic-looking box.  It was awesome.

This movie is just win.  I can't explain it better than that.  The critics say it's a cult classic worthy of Shaun of the Dead or The Big Lebowski.  And I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment