Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Valentine's Day is about anger, disappointment, love, romance, mating, discretion, sparklies, commitment, I love it."

"Valentine's Day. It comes every year whether you like it or not. It's the day when your love life is put on display. Where there's always a chance for romance...or disaster. It can be confusing. And it can be complicated. But at the end of the day, it's all about love." -- Valentine's Day Trailer

I'll admit that I was slightly concerned about this movie.  There are A LOT of characters.  The last movie I watched like that was He's Just Not That Into You, and, well, I just wasn't into that movie.  At all.  Too many characters that I cared absolutely nothing about.  They were too exaggerated to be real, except for Alex, played by Justin Long. But whatever, we'll give lots of characters another chance.




Huzzah!! More Anne Hathaway.  I love her so so much.  But I digress again.  For my ode to Miss Hathaway, see my review of Alice in Wonderland.  And she plays such an oddball character -- well her job anyway.  AWKWARD!  So many accents -- ha ha ha. And Queen Latifa is such a good sport about it.  The first time I saw this movie, I didn't like this role for her (it was a bit disturbing), but upon seeing it a second time, I've decided it's just funny. 




 
And Hector Edlizondo too.  He was in The Princess Diaries with Anne Hathaway!  Yay for Hector!



Oh Taylor Swift.  I love her music, but wow can she be a ditz.  Hope she's not like that in real life.  I'm going to assume she's not because she writes her own song and hosted one of the best SNL's in a long time.  Taylor Lautner is just as bad as she is in this movie.  Not that he isn't any better in Twilight. He is pretty amazing in The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl, though.  Ha.



 




 Hey look.  It's Bradley Cooper with his ridiculous hair.  I HATE his iced hair tips that he has in most movies, except The Hangover.  It was worse then.  He's the new Matthew McConaughey. Ick.  So Sorry, Brad.  Sucks to be you.





Jessica Biel is probably one of my favorite characters in this movie.  It's partially because I have watched her grow up, so to speak, thanks 7th Heaven. And she's just funny.  And she reminds me of someone special, someone super important to me, like one of my best friends ever.  So many girls, I think, feel the way she does: that Valentine's Day is for people in love, but pretty useless for everyone else.  And she's so funny about her annual "I Hate Valentine's Day Party."  "My best friend is CANDY!" "My closest relationship is with my BlackBerry, Thank God it VIBRATES!"







 

I feel bad for Ashton Kutcher.  He has to find out that his best friend is being cheated on.  that's awful.  He shouldn't be put in that position.  Well, no one should.  It's crappy.  And it puts him in such a weird situation.  But I guess it works out for him in the end.  After Alba refuses his proposal, he gets Jennifer Garner (a trade up in my opinion).  Not only does he save her from Patrick Dempsy, but he gets a relationship with her. 






The only other character I want to mention is Emma Robert's character.  I love her blunt honesty and frankness about everything.  Her grandparents ask what's wrong and she tells them flat out: "Well, my boyfriend and I were going to have sex for the first time today."  Not every teenager would do that, but she did.  I also like that she chases after the kid she babysits because she cares that much about him.  She's just a good character.





I guess the last thing I'll mention is the song Taylor Swift wrote for the movie, Today Was a Fairytale.  It was perfect.  Not only was it beautifully written and performed, but it fit the movie so well.  She's just amazing.  End of story.
This movie is amazing.  Just watch it.  Even if it is a slight bit depressing, it's still... realistic.  I like that word.  Valentine's day isn't always about love.  It's not always perfect.  For example, on one particular Valentine's day, I gave my ex the engagement ring he got me back and broke his heart.  Maybe that experience just jaded me, but I like that this movie covers all kinds of Valentine's days, not just the perfect ones.











1 comment:

  1. I reeally loved the movie, i culd watch it again, and again without getting tired of it, and i love how everyone was connected in some way or another.

    ReplyDelete